Sunday, August 22, 2010

Response to Conference Programs

As one of the first links on Blackboard to the Woolf conferences is to the Woolf and the Natural World 2010 Conference, I found it interesting to note that while I have not read a significant amount of Woolf’s work, I have this subconscious hum that already connects Woolf and nature in such a way that a conference based on the connection thereof seems justified.  Simply reviewing the titles of Woolf’s novels we are reading this semester evokes not a world built of concrete and steel, but a world grown from the ground, a world pushed forth from the waves as they follow the tides.  


The second link on Blackboard takes us to the schedule for the Woolf and the City 2009 Conference.  Here and now, we are plucked from the musings of governmental grass and placed squarely in the beating heart of London on a cold and windy day, or at least this is what comes to mind when reading this conference title.  The presentation that is most striking to me here is “Woolf’s Creative Violence.”  If I had attended this conference, I would have definitely gone to see this presentation (would love to read the paper).  In fact, of all the titles thus far, this one has excited me the most.


A common thread among the programs seems to be Woolf in the Digital Age.  I think because we have a lot of information, documents, resources, etc. on Woolf, that reformatting these materials for the Web is an interesting and intriguing task, one in which I’d love to be able to explore, along with Woolf's writing processes, and now, of course, violence and Virginia Woolf.  

No comments:

Post a Comment